Saturday, February 12, 2011

SWAK: Happy Valentine's Day from Your Carolina Hurricanes!

Love is in the air in the Carolina Hurricanes' locker room; well that may just be hockey stench...but I digress. You see the team operates under a variation of the "the team that plays together, stays together" motto, in their case insert the word "crafts" for "plays" and you have a winner.  The boys love to spend their spare time showing just how much they appreciate each other and with Monday being Valentines Day, there was a lot of "appreciation" being shown in the Canes locker room recently. 

The boys took advantage of some recent down time to decorate some paper bags with cut out hearts and glitter glue, eat some conversation hearts and give thoughtful and personalized Valentines to their nearest and dearest teammates. We here at the Siren have a mole in the locker room who made sure to send us copies of all of these completely fake works of art to share with our readers.  So pop in some Barry White, dim the lights and break out the chocolate because your Valentine's Day edition of the Hurricane Siren is not just signed, sealed and delivered...it's yours!

Much like that super cute boy in the 4th grade, Jeff's Valentine mailbox was filled to overflowing with lots of "we heart you" and "you're great!" messages. Let's take a peek at some of the special treats Jeff found: 

I wonder which prank happy NHL pro stood in line at the CVS to buy these...


But don't think for a second Jeff was just receiving messages of affection from his teammates. He was giving them out too. And once again he decided handmade was the best way to go: 



I do sense a pattern developing here. He's going to have to give out a lot of friendship bracelets at the end of the season.

Speaking of friendships, fans may have noticed the development of quite a few bromances throughout the season. Our boys like each other a lot. And they like touching each other even more. Here are some Valentines that represent that. 



Those two are just precious aren't they?



Oh dear. I'm not sure I have words. Especially about the hidden tawdriness that seems to be the Cole-Gleason relationship.  I wonder what Corvo would have to say about this:



Oh Erik...you double timer you. I do very much appreciate the fact that Emo Joe bought Cole a big, fluffy teddy bear. 

I know what you're thinking. Where does Eric fall into this love...one...two...square? Well based on this Valentine he seems to be on the outside looking in...tapping pitifully on the glass. 

You know Eric I am sure someone still cares deeply about you:


Whoa. That's...whoa. Apparently that is called a candygram and, much like calling BINGO at Tripp Tracy Bingo, I'm pretty sure it's something you don't actually want. 

Something else you don't want? A goalie that's mad at you on Valentine's Day. 

Yeah this team may have bonded just a tad too well earlier this season. 


Oh Petey. You are so optimistic. 


Hear that noise? That's me sidestepping this one altogether.


Ahhh...nothing like family is there?

Sometimes we find that on the surface a couple doesn't seem like they fit, but for whatever reason they work.  @ZachBoychuk and @TroyBodie seem to be one of those couples. 






Oh dear....some people never learn from their mistakes do they?


He's a mystery wrapped in an enigma shrouded in a puzzle. 


For the record, I believe that is a chocolate lab. Why? I don't know. 


Somewhere a printing press shuddered to a halt. 


It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Carson's Valentine!


Wooo woooo! I love that our vets encourage our rookies' little quirks. 

Coming up we have yet another example of that proverbial odd couple we talked about earlier: 



Now, I have to say that I was very, very impressed by the Finns' Valentines. Especially considering it's not really one of their holidays. But they are game for anything and went all out making Valentines for each other. Naturally the messages are in Finnish, but our mole was able to piece together a translation of them for us based on the guys' reactions. 


Joni, 
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Your dog is ditzy 
And so are you!
Tuomo

Gee someone must be reading the fan blogs eh?


Tuomo, 
Roses are red
Violets are blue
You love  hockey sticks
Women love your Sisu!
Jussi

Yup. They are SO reading fan blogs. 


Jussi, 
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Pumpkin is sexy
Ooooo...shiny!
Joni

Happy Valentine's Day Caniacs from your Carolina Hurricanes and me! 

2 comments:

  1. This is legen .... wait for it ..... dary! I'm so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through your Twitter which I found through the Twitter of other Canes Country folks (I am Esbee on CC btw). (That sentence was a grammatical disaster). Anyway your blog cracked me up. And you are one of "my people." I too have this Caniac disease that makes me talk about the players, the team and hockey 24/7. I may have been looking at the childhood picture of Chad LaRose earlier today on the Google. Anyway very funny. And Timmy's Valentine to Rosie made me BUST out laughing. I am a big Chad fan and that was SO TRUE! Hope you keep posting.

    ReplyDelete